Kitesurf Yorke Island Torres Strait
Join us in 2018 for an unforgettable kiting and cultural experience with your exclusive pass to Yorke Island and the Magic Mile.
Kitesurf everyday in butter smooth tropical water, glide along sand bars for miles and feast on locally caught seafood.
On this exclusive tour with Zephyr Tours and Gubaou Mari, you’ll meet the wonderful, friendly and welcoming people of the Torres Strait who have invited you to experience world-class kiting in their own backyard.
2018 TOURS - 7 or 11 days -
MAY 28 | JUNE 11 | june 25
- 7 or 11 days of action-packed kiting, culture and adventure with Gubaou Mari and the local community
- Exclusive Masigalgal access permit per person (only 8 allocated to tourists per fortnight),
- Complimentary Island shirt/dress souvenir
- Flights return from Cairns to Yorke Island including a private charter
- All meals on Island; caught, prepared and served by locals
- Daily boat support & transfers upto the Magic Mile & surrounds
- Comfortable Lodge accommodation; twin share
- Zephyr host and experienced kite instructor/coach
- All other activities such as fishing, snorkelling and entertainment
8 KITERS PER TOUR MAX | TWIN SHARE from $5,790
Welcome to the Magic Mile
A kiters playground where two tear drop Islands meet as the steady trade winds flow cleanly over the middle sandbar to create the perfect conditions with miles of butter smooth water that is an utter joy to ride!
The sandy bottom meets reef where it’s nice and deep with no bumps, waves or obstacles to try new tricks, learn to jump start off the beach or nail that darkslide you’ve been practising and are finally going to get!
As with all Zephyr Tours, our main focus is your progression and here is the place to do it. Included in this package is group coaching sessions where Ben, our head coach, will have you edging harder and boosting higher in no time. But if you do feel the need for more intense one-on-one instruction in any area at any level, lessons are available to add-on at checkout or once on island.
For added adventure we will be setting challenges with a circumnavigation of Kadal and Yorke Islands, offer up winders to the Magic Mile and, if you are game; long hauls to other islands to push your limits.
With so much water around it’s easy to explore further with the full support of the skillful boat crew and their local knowledge.
READ ABOUT THE TORRES KITE CROSSING HERE
- 2013 Pink torres EXPEDITION - 5 days by kite - over 400kms - EPIC -
The winds are generally 15-20knots and the water smooth, so make sure you pack a twintip with loads of POP to get the best out of the conditions here on Yorke.
Because of the small planes, your luggage is strictly limited to 15kg’s per person plus 5kg’s carry on. This means you should be able to squeeze in 2 kites and a board - You won’t need many clothes so pack light.
In the unfortunate event of your gear breaking, don't worry as we will have some back up equipment for you to use for the rest of our tour or until it is fixed.
It’s also recommended you squeeze in snorkel, mask, flippers and spear gun if you are into that kinda thing.
Contact the crew at Ocean Addicts QLD
to get a special discount on the right gear before you go.
Located just out of town on the waters edge, Gubaou Mari is a locally owned, eco beachside retreat built especially for us to enjoy; It’s is on private land and far away from the daily running of the community.
Gubaou Mari is where you’ll will hangout each day to meet the guides, boat crew and entertainers. For those staying at the lodge, daily transfers to the resort are included where you will have your kite gear stored securely in the lockup area and be taken to Kadal for the days kiting with your crew.
Complete with a kitchen, town water, eco toilets, solar lighting, internet, beach chairs and umbrellas, you’ll want for nothing more.
CALL JEN ON 0400 800 838 TO GET ALL YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED IN ONE GO.
Activities and Events
Throughout your tour we have many activities and events planned which include:
- Welcome to Country and dinner with Elders and key community members,
- Guided walks and talks by the local rangers,
- Traditional island dancing & entertainment,
- Makarr (model outrigger boat) racing with Uncle Tom Stephen,
- Mabo day celebrations with community (June 3 ’18)
- Basket weaving & demonstrations,
- Netting for mullet and sharing with the community,
- Food preparation and lessons for underground cooking and much more.
Second to kitesurfing is fishing and can be done any way you want it…
Bring a spear and catch rock cod, coral trout or crayfish. Troll with your boat crew on your way to kite beach each day for mackerel or trout or hunt for squid at the jetty on dark with Joey.
Traditional hunting methods of netting and spearing are demonstrated and taught to you throughout your tour by local guides and your Masig hosts.
Not into fishing? Don’t worry as there’s always snorkeling, freediving, birdwatching, swimming, exploring the Island or just lazing around in hammocks beach side…
Food is a big part of the Masig culture and sharing is their way of welcoming you into the community. These expert fishermen will be there to show and teach you their traditional, and modern ways of hunting & gathering for food.
Many of the evenings will be spent with your hosts, elders and other important people in the community as this is a social time to share stories, learn from each other and enjoy the simple things in life.
Our head chef Gavin, knows what every kiter needs after a huge day of riding the Magic Mile. Trained in high end resorts in Cairns, he combines the lush fresh fruit available from PNG and Queensland with the crayfish, mackerel and prawns you’ve had the opportunity to help catch each day.
Fish, fruit and meat are your staple on this tour with your usual cooked or cold breaky provided each day.
Enjoy the local cakes and bread made locally, meet the Elders and community over a Kup Mari (underground oven) and share your fish with the people who you meet in the street.
If you have any dietary requirements or cannot do seafood, don’t worry, there are plenty of options available with enough notice.
The Lodge is one of the only tourist accommodations in the whole of the Torres Strait. The comfortable cabins are maintained daily with twin or double options. A common room with a commercial kitchen is yours to share with all the amenities needed for a great stay.
This package is based on twin share so please add the single supplement if you wish to have your own fully self-contained cabin.
Supporting the community
At Zephyr we support the locals and give back to the community in every location we choose to take you. For this Yorke Island tour, we provide employment for at least 12 locals who are there as boat crew, cooks, dancers, artists, craftsmen & guides.
Additionally, as a guest using the traditional land to enjoy kitesurfing, a compulsory Masigalgal Tour Fee of $100 per person, exclusive to Zephyr Tours and Gubaou Mari, is included in the package.
100% of this fee is passed onto the PBC at the end of the season to give back to the community that has welcomed us onto their land. The PBC will decide how to spend this contribution to benefit the local people and the environment.
Tourism to this region is in its infancy and it is imperative that while enjoying the epic kiting conditions; all guests must to respect local custom, refrain from bringing alcohol, embrace tradition and give back to the community while on tour with Zephyr & Gubaou Mari.
Yorke Island – Getting there
Yorke Island is almost halfway between Papua New Guinea and the tip of Australia QLD. It is part of the Torres Strait Island chain in the inner east island group.
Departing Cairns we will make our way to Horn Island – the gateway to the Torres Strait. Here we will board our very own 9 seater private charter direct to Yorke Island.
The charter is approx 40 mins where your hosts and guides will be waiting at the airport to welcome you to their community.
For the way home, we will book you onto the regular flights with the locals which will arrive back in Cairns via Horn Island.
Tour starts Mondays at Cairns Airport 11am for a 12.20pm flight
7 day tour ends Monday in Cairns approx. 5:30pm
11 day tour ends Thursday in Cairns approx. 1:20pm
You must make your own arrangements to and from Cairns based around these times.
Important info you need to know before booking…
- This is strictly a DRY TOUR i.e. NO ALCOHOL (your body will be thankful),
- The Yorke Island community are mostly Christian and respect for their custom/s is essential.
- The Masigalgal access permit for kiting is available through Zephyr Tours only,
- There may be times where kiting might be limited such as Mabo day or if there is ‘sorry business’ (where a community member passes away),
- Partaking in water activities in this region comes with inherent risks such as being in the water with sharks, crocodiles and other seacreatures,
- The closest hospital is on Horn Island; a plane ride away, however there is a remote Island nurse available in the event of minor injuries,
- There are no toilet facilities on Kadal (kite beach) but we are working on it with the locals for future tours,
- There is a strict 20kg limit on gear.
*prices subject to change until paid in full
Secure your spot now...
Before booking, please call Jen on 0400 800 838 to see if this tour is for you and ask any questions you may have.